Sunday, August 8, 2010

China: Day 33: August 6, 2010 Friday


It was a terrible night trying to sleep, and when I woke up and talked to Dick on Skype he suggested that I see if I could change my plane ticket and come home today instead of late on Sunday. I spent an hour on hold with EVA Airline trying to figure out if this was possible (actually, I taped the phone to the computer microphone so Dick could listen to the recording while I frantically packed.) When we never got through, Jenny suggested that I just pack up and go down with her and several others who were flying out today and see if I could change the ticket. This was a frantic two hours of changing arrangements, who would room with who, who was planning on getting a ride home from the airport with me, etc. but I was ready at noon for the hotel check out.

Five of us then undertook one of the silliest processions anyone had seen, with each of us having at least 4 suitcases and backpack, and couple hats.

We went through five subway lines, many escalators, a few elevators, and many times of bags falling over, nearly knowing people off escalators….several times nice people offered to assist us getting bags

off the subway train.


By the time we had made the hour+ride and arrived to drop off our bags, it was ridiculous, but we did it! (And saved about $12 each…WHAT a deal!).



I held my breath at the express airline counter for check in. At first they couldn’t find me in the system, but then they did and was a able to make the change of flights without it costing me any more money, and I ever got on aisle seat on the exit row for the long flight home.



I was thrilled! I was going home. My coughing and sinus headache were getting worse, but I was headed home to recover.


We spent some time in the afternoon going up one of the world’s longest escalators (strange! And we were VERY glad to have checked our bags!!!!) Then we went to a bookstore. Everyone, it seems, in Hong Kong speaks English and so the books store had nearly exclusively books in English. What a chance form the store in Mainland China, lonely about 20 miles away where we could hardly find an English book at all!


We had some little treats and then on to the airport for the flight home.

I had a slight scare when, once we were on the plane in Taiwan, I had a coughing fit and the woman next to me went to tell the stewardess that I needed a glass of water. Immediately after that, they made an announcement that there was seriously ill person on the place, and were there a doctor or nurse on board. I froze, imagining that I would now be in quarantined limbo in Taiwan…..it wasn’t me that they were referring, to, however, but someone who was indeed seriously ill. Whew! We took off and I was sooooo glad to be heading home.


I slept most of the night/day on the plane, and was really happy to arrive in LAX at around 10pm Friday evening with a very happy husband there to pick me up.



I am home. It was fabulous! But indeed, there is no place like home! I’ve been to China…and now back again. What a trip!

No comments:

Post a Comment