Wednesday, July 7, 2010

China: Day 1: July 5, 2010





So how long DOES it take to get to China? Well, first you need to drive from San Diego to Los Angeles: about 2 hours, checking in and then going through security and getting ready to board nearly 3 hours, flying to Taipei Taiwan 13 hours, layover there 2 hours, landing in Hong Kong two hours, going through customs and getting to our hotel 2 hours=22 hours a verrrry long travel day.


As our group gathered in Los Angeles, we started to get ready for the long flight. Some of us laid down on the floor just because we could and would later REALLY wish we could stretch out!


Even though all the folks on our trip were given an aisle seat on the plane, I was asked by a very nice young woman who was traveling with her mother and grandmother, both with limited English, if I could switch seats with her so that she could help assist them. Although this meant giving up easy access to the bathroom, of course I said I would. They were going to Saigon to see family. A little awkward getting up and down, but in the morning the mom and grandma sent me over treats and thanked me profusely. The mom also offered if I was ever in Irvine, AA and wanted my nails done, to come to her shop;-)


Not a great night’s sleep, but the ear plugs and eye mask helped. We got some pretty darn good airplane food. I guess they do still serve food on international flights. Thank goodness! The plane was 747…huge! Yippi! We really are going to China!


Here is Kyle and I just after arriving in Taiwan.

No comments:

Post a Comment