Sunday, July 25, 2010

China: Day 17: July 21, 2010 Wednesday


Moving along, this is hump day for the week, and for the program. Lots of really good interaction with the students. It is disappointing that we get very little time with the Chinese teachers that isn’t in class time. These teachers are working so hard. Not only are they assisting in the classes all daylong, but they also provide the before school, after school and lunch time supervision. Yipes! THAT is a tough work day for them. They are very interested in our teaching style, but everyone is getting tired out!

One of the really interesting exercises we did today with the students was getting them talk about the jobs that their parents and grandparents (and in some cases aunts, uncles, brothers or sisters) had. Lots of engineers, clerks, “bosses”, teachers, and “workers”. Workers turns out to be code word for blue collar workers with their hands. Then we wrote little scripts that said things like:

Hello, my name is Susan. I want to be a dancer because I like dancing and music. Everyday I would wake up and go to the dance studio. My job would be dancing and teaching dancing. My father is an engineer. My mother is a housewife. I want to be a dancer and a dance teacher.

A very interesting discussion was about whether their parents liked the particular job the students were choosing or not like. Even though these students have limited English, there is such power in these dialogues! I love these students!


A team meeting after school today and then off for another massage...this time an intense foot massage which included a special Chinese treatment called moxibustion.

My husband Dick and I took a workshop on this when we lived in Minneapolis, and found out that this process which is burning a compacted weed and having the smoke go over your accupunture points....actually when you do it at your house in the bathroom, smells terribly lot marijuana and the smell stays in the walls for about a month. In the spa, it was nice, and didn't even cause us any extra. This is the other part of the accupunture process. When in China, do as the Chinese do.

No comments:

Post a Comment