Friday, July 30, 2010

China: Day 25: July 29, 2010 Thursday



More stories. This time I told Robert Munch’s Stephanie’s ponytail using a girl from the class to demonstrate a ponytail in the back, the said, the top and the front! This hit the Chinese funny bone so hard that the students were literally rolling on the floor. The understood the story and it was so much fun. I also told a couple of classes “Where the Wild Things Are.” Also quite fun!

Then we had another of those rehearsals from hell where we get 100 kids who have been practicing a variety of things in different classrooms all up on stage and chaos issues.

So far, we have done this each week and the performance has come out okay. This time we have three songs, some introductions and a couple of short poems. Kids are also dancing The Mexican Hat Dance. You could pray for us that somehow it works out!


After school, Jenny and I took a cab to the big bookstores. (Thanks to Smiley, the Chinese teacher who wrote out in Chinese the name of the place.) We got there and really enjoyed poking around through the five floors of books.

It is like a Barnes and Nobles supersized. Despite the size, there was very little that we could read, including the signs, and few books. We both found some Chinese books and some bilingual that are wonderful. I could have stayed for hours, but we needed to get back because Jenny was meeting her Chinese host mother at 7.


When we came out of the bookstore it was raining…..not raining, POURING! And did I have my umbrella with? The answer is NO!!! So, Jenny graciously shared her tiny umbrella with me and we ran and waited for a taxi and when we couldn’t catch one, we walked on an overpass and then stood at the bus stop for a while, all the while it rained and rained. By the time we finally caught a bus, I was nearly soaked to the skin and quite worried about my new books I had bought. Jenny lent me her extra shopping bag and I was able to double wrap the books and keep them safe.

After riding the bus for a few miles, we then had to walk another five blocks in the RAIN. By the time we came into the hotel lobby, we were so wet that the hotel manager sent me directly upstairs to change and had someone carry my wet bag up. Very nice. I put on a polartek jacket. I was chilled. I THINK I learned a lesson about carrying an umbrella during monsoon season.

Supper and then some writing time. Keeping up a blog is hard, disciplined work. Tomorrow is the last day of school Wow! The time really flew by.

No comments:

Post a Comment