Wednesday, July 28, 2010

China: Day 22: July 26, 2010 Monday


The final week begins today. We are all in “the swing” of things. And we will finally have it about figured out when we have to close up shop and go home.


Several of our teachers have gotten very ill. One may have gotten food poising at KFC, a couple more have some kind of terrible bug. I am struggling myself; kind of achy and intestinal track is iffy. Being in a different country has its serious drawbacks.


This week we are focusing on world cultures my level decided to especially focus on Latin America, which I like because I have some very nice resources for this. It is a week that will include telling some favorite stories. Today included the story of The Barking Mouse, about why it is important to learn a second language. I also told my version of Coyote and the money tree. I used American money for this and they were VERY interested in what that looked like. All of these stories are well received for the children. Kids are so curious and interested. We just have to give them things that they can connect with. They are also learning to dance and sing The Mexican Hat Dance and La Bamba....sometimes Ihave to remind myself we are not in Mexico, but China;-)

I am very interested in poling the children to find that at least a third of them have traveled internationally. Most often to Japan, Singapore or Australia, but some have been to the US and some have been to many countries. Also many of them plan to attend University outside of China. These are not provincial shelter children.


I actually fell asleep during my lunchtime phone call with my husband, and then took a nap before dinner.



Jenny and I went over to “The Blind Massage Place”, although I have YET to see anyone blind giving a massage. There we had our feet worked over quite seriously by a couple of guys who were NOT giving Swedish nice soothing massages. They beat your back and your feet and worked those sore places really hard. I had some VERY sore spots on my foot, connected to my sore tummy. By the time we were done, I felt quite a bit better. I will sleep well tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment